Sunday, July 15, 2012

blog posting #3

I really like the idea of using aviary as a means of better communicating with my students. In an ideal world I like to do at least one hour of cardio every day. Instead of listening to the Rocky soundtrack on repeat, I think I could just listen to my students' daily podcasts. We've been working a lot with the concept of exit tickets; and using a one-minute podcast to list the main ideas students have learned from class seems an excellent way for them to consolidate information.
Additionally, we have consistently discussed ways to make the classroom feel safe. One idea I had is to create a hotline for students who wish to voice any anxieties they are experiencing in class (or outside of class). This would make me feel a lot better than giving out my cell phone number to students. Often leaving a voice recording can feel more intimate than writing an email or note. There is probably even voice-scrambling technology if students wish to remain anonymous. I hope having such an option will allow students to feel more comfortable both in and out of the classroom.
As an English major I like to analyze tone, and there are simply more dimensions of tone when listening to the diction and intonations students use than there are when reading words on the page. In this respect podcasts appear to be a very promising way of communicating with my students - or rather of having my students communicate with me.

4 comments:

  1. I agree aviary will be a much more personable way to communicate/give lessons on-line. Giving the kids an outlet on-line will allow some of them the opportunity to say things they would otherwise not say. Honesty is the best policy, but it is a difficult thing to do in a crazy world. I also agree with you about the importance of intonation. I will also place a large emphasis on it due to the fact that I am teaching Spanish and the accent is crucial to understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the safe classroom idea is awesome! Using either a gmail phone number/ skype for students to leave messages, or even using something like aviary to create a "podcast" could be a great way to allow students to express their emotions in a healthy and honest way. Also, they would only be available to you, which helps to keep things confidential. Also, you can revisit what they said and hear the inflections in their voices which could be more helpful than just reading a paper, where emotion can be lost. I think you are really onto something with that! With programs like Aviary we know that creating a podcast can be easy. It's a shame Aviary is being shut down, but I'm sure there are similar sites out there. Kristin may even be able to recommend some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Shap,

    I think that podcasts are a great way to change up instruction and let students do something different in terms of response. It seems like this process may actually be more helpful for some students, as many may prefer speaking instead of writing. I think you can also infer a lot from tone and it seems like this could be helpful to gauge student understanding. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of a hotline for students to air their problems in a safe way is a good use of the technology and would allow to keep track of the different emotions and problems that students are having. I had not really thought about having students making podcasts, but I like this idea, although it is probably easier for you to implement this technique in your classroom than it would be for mine. But I have thought about the various websites that I could use to help get students involved with technology and how they can use it productivly.

    ReplyDelete